Senryuu Girl Review

HannahCN

Senryuu Girl is a lovely slice of life / romance half-length anime that is not so much about what it does as how it does it.

Long story short, its two main characters are a girl who is too shy to talk and as such communicates through senryuu (a form of haiku) and a soft-hearted boy who is unfortunately saddled with looking like a scary thug. It is very 'cute people doing cute things' - a story which has been told before and will no doubt be told again - however, the story isn't why I liked Senryuu Girl as much as I did.

It has a unique concept that never feels contrived or like it's trying to pull of a shtick just for the sake of standing out. Actually, if there is one word that could be used to sum up the entire story, it would be 'communication'. Both the main as well as the side characters all have *some* trouble communicating their intent to other people. Its humor is often surprisingly self-aware, and because of it being half-length it can be digested in bite-sized chunks.

Will this be a story to last the ages? No of course not. But it's an adorably quirky story that manages to pull off a concept that's been done a thousand times before in a unique way, which is why it stood out to me.

Sounds interesting and hard for the manga writer, though they did something like this in the Dragon quest 11 game, but a whole town instead of one person.

Back