Securing Zero-Post accounts: Make One Post

Star_Of_Hope

Akatsuki
Staff member
Hello,

We don't want spam account in our MAF . So, if your post count is "zero" or if you make spam posts, we will likely delete your account permanently.

So, if you want to secure your account in MAF , make at least "one quality non-spam" post.
Only then, your account will remain in MAF .

Other zero accounts will be purged from time to time. We are not going to announce the purging beforehand from here on in. So, please don't contact us about your lost account.

-MAF Staff.

is my account secure now?
i want to give this forum a try before going back to using disqus :full:

ItachiSasuke said:
is my account secure now?
i want to give this forum a try before going back to using disqus :full:

You account is secure...........And, as far as Disqus is concerned, it's good, but, sometimes, you may encounter minor glitches...........

this is indeed a good idea.
i am glad that you people don't go with sheer numbers :cheers:

I'm gonna be honest. I disagree with the idea of deleting accounts with zero posts. The only reason why an admin would want to do that would be to make the database smaller if they had a small hosting account. But hosting resources are quite cheap and member accounts don't weight that much in the database. A few hundred accounts hardly weigh 1 GB of hosting space.

The benefit of keeping inactive accounts is that it gives the impression that the community has a lot of members when guests look at the statistics in the footer.

alakazam said:
I'm gonna be honest. I disagree with the idea of deleting accounts with zero posts. The only reason why an admin would want to do that would be to make the database smaller if they had a small hosting account. But hosting resources are quite cheap and member accounts don't weight that much in the database. A few hundred accounts hardly weigh 1 GB of hosting space.

The benefit of keeping inactive accounts is that it gives the impression that the community has a lot of members when guests look at the statistics in the footer.

Sometimes it's better to clean up things before they get ugly. We have deleted 23k accounts before and we have deleted some hundreds of good accounts too.too . We are trying to do everything we can to provide our users with hood quality and clear statistics.

alakazam said:

there are several good reasons to remove 0 post counts.

If you move DBs, every less MB is a time savor. Cleans up the board to remove the inactivity of it. To free up usernames. Make account hijacking less possible.

Demon_skeith said:
alakazam said:

If you move DBs, every less MB is a time savor. Cleans up the board to remove the inactivity of it. To free up usernames. Make account hijacking less possible.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't like my phone's autocorrect .

Demon_skeith said:
alakazam said:

Yeah, but how often does one even move databases, and why? If you have a reliable web hosting company, you'll stay on the same server for years.

I don't believe in removing inactivity because inactivity can be the support for new activity. If a guest comes, looks at the forum stats and sees:

100,000 posts
10,000 members (even if some of them have zero posts, guests don't have any way of knowing that)

they will think, "wow, this forum is pretty active and the posts/members ratio seems good".

But if a guest sees:

100,000 posts
900 members

he'll say, "wow, this is just a place with a small group of people who post a lot".

See my line of reasoning?

I am glad that I made some posts. Otherwise I wild have still temained as a guest.

alakazam said:
Yeah, but how often does one even move databases, and why? If you have a reliable web hosting company, you'll stay on the same server for years.

I don't believe in removing inactivity because inactivity can be the support for new activity. If a guest comes, looks at the forum stats and sees:

100,000 posts
10,000 members (even if some of them have zero posts, guests don't have any way of knowing that)

they will think, "wow, this forum is pretty active and the posts/members ratio seems good".

But if a guest sees:

100,000 posts
900 members

he'll say, "wow, this is just a place with a small group of people who post a lot".

See my line of reasoning?

What's the point of those members if they are just for the show?
Sorry I am not an admin and I think as a normal user. So, forgive me if I sound stupid

It is not a stupid question but I think pretty much it's answered by the same post you're quoting. Some people think it helps weight the tips on the scale for the member to decide to join. First impressions matter and what many look for is that people give their communities a chance by registering. After that it is about the forum content and ambient to captivate the person joining to the point they won't mind it has zero poist accounts.

Now my two cents, someone at some point took interest in your community. Provided that they registered with a valid email, having them in your database means that if you send a mass email, this will reach them. If the reason they disappeared was because they lost your url (didn't bookmark, the activation mail went to junk mail, etc) they might still return with that nudge. I've returned to forums I haven't posted in years because of that, like Zelda Universe. When I left it I am pretty sure I had at least 50+ posts but when i returned I had only six. Old posts probably were deleted. If I hadn't had those 6 reminding in my account then it'd be gone by now.

On the other hand, when I was with Roczuz I discovered zombie bot accounts. Accounts that joined your forum and were dormant for months before one day suddenly spamming all over. So I can understand forum owners wanting to delete zero accounts to avoid bots. I also have people joining to circumvent the member-only zones and access them. I actually made a long rant in my blog because it is an issue that keeps popping up.

Anyway, I have no beef with the decision, especially since you guys are openly alerting of this practice.

Zero posters well they are not bots filling my forums with junk why delete them , that is just my opinion .

Nel said:
What's the point of those members if they are just for the show?
Sorry I am not an admin and I think as a normal user. So, forgive me if I sound stupid
Those our thoughts :D
Kaynil said:
It is not a stupid question but I think it pretty much it answered by the same post you're quoting. Some people think it helps weight the tips on the scale for the member to decide to join. First impressions matter and what many look for is that people give their communities a chance by registering. After that it is about the forum content and ambient to captivate the person joining to the point they won't mind it has zero poist accounts.

Now my two cents, someone at some point took interest in your community. Provided that they registered with a valid email, having them in your database means that if you send a mass email, this will reach them. If the reason they disappeared was because they lost your url (didn't bookmark, the activation mail went to junk mail, etc) they might still return with that nudge. I've returned to forums I haven't posted in years because of that, like Zelda Universe. When I left it I am pretty sure I had at least 50+ posts but when i returned I had only six. Old posts probably were deleted. If I hadn't had those 6 reminding in my account then it'd be gone by now.

On the other hand, when I was with Roczuz I discovered zombie bot accounts. Accounts that joined your forum and were dormant for months before one day suddenly spamming all over. So I can understand forum owners wanting to delete zero accounts to avoid bots. I also have people joining to circumvent the member-only zones and access them. I actually made a long rant in my blog because it is an issue that keeps popping up.

Anyway, I have no beef with the decision, especially since you guys are openly alerting of this practice.

PS. Feel free to unlink if you think it is not appropiate. I just thought it was related.
We don't links here, I hope you will remove that link as you have already stated your point, in your post.
Servo said:
Zero posters well they are not bots filling my forums with junk why delete them , that is just my opinion .
Because we are thinking of having quality rather than quantity :D

Back