Samurai Champloo Anime Discussion

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Samurai Champloo is directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the man who directed Cowboy Bebop and Zankyou no Terror. The series is set in the Edo period, and is about a girl named Fuu who meets Mugen and Jin, two extremely skilled swordsmen, and together they go in search of a Samurai who smells like sunflowers. It's an episodic anime, with each episode having one adventure each. I'm 13 episodes into it and I really, really like it. The soundtrack is great as well, and it's predominantly hip-hop. The action sequences are stylish, violent and extremely entertaining. The series is also pretty funny, and plays off the banter and personality of its core characters.
So, have you watched it and what do you think of it?

I have watched this anime and I really liked it....except for the words.They curse a lot. 
I am not fond of the ending though.

yaoifangirl said:
It's a good anime and it's one of my favorite anime. I wish it could have a second season

Well, Watanabe has rarely directed a second season, so the chances are pretty slim.

I love samurai champloo :) it's one of those animes that I can watch over and over again and won't get tired of it! ^_^

Mina said:
I love samurai champloo :) it's one of those animes that I can watch over and over again and won't get tired of it! ^_^

I'm loving it so far too. Can't wait to watch the last 12 episodes(have to get to it soon). I got into because it's pretty popular and I saw that it was directed by the guy who did Zankyou no Terror, and while that had a disappointing ending, the first 9-10 episodes were great. I still have to watch Cowboy Bebop though.
But yeah, this series really surprised me. It's one of the few anime(at least among the ones I've watched) that has a genuinely great first episode. It hooked me immediately and I was floored.

Yeah Watanabe is great. I've watched most of his work, except for space dandy and zankyou no terror. I think cowboy bebop is better but samurai champloo is a close 2nd.

Yeah Watanabe is great. I've watched most of his work, except for space dandy and zankyou no terror. I think cowboy bebop is better but samurai champloo is a close 2nd.

MadaraUchiha said:
Well, Watanabe has rarely directed a second season, so the chances are pretty slim.

Rarely but not unheard of. So there is indeed a possibility for a second season.

yaoifangirl said:
Rarely but not unheard of. So there is indeed a possibility for a second season.

I just checked and he has directed one Cowboy Bebop film and other than that he's never done any additional material for his works.

Kamikaze said:

I liked Zankyou no Terror, unlike Champloo(and Bebop from what I hear) it does not follow an episodic narrative.

yaoifangirl said:

The ending wrapped everything up so I don't see the need for a 2nd season. Maybe a movie, sure? But I can't really see what they can accomplish with a 2nd season.

Kamikaze said:
The ending wrapped everything up so I don't see the need for a 2nd season. Maybe a movie, sure? But I can't really see what they can accomplish with a 2nd season.

I would like to watch who would get the girl. I don't want jin to get her. But he likes her

MadaraUchiha said:
I just checked and he has directed one Cowboy Bebop film and other than that he's never done any additional material for his works.

I liked Zankyou no Terror, unlike Champloo(and Bebop from what I hear) it does not follow an episodic narrative.

It would be cool to watch him make even more interesting works. I got an alert from you avout the fairy tail review reply, but i couldn't find it.

yaoifangirl said:
I would like to watch who would get the girl. I don't want jin to get her. But he likes her

It would be cool to watch him make even more interesting works. I got an alert from you avout the fairy tail review reply, but i couldn't find it.

It was one of the posts that got accidentally deleted due to that political thing.

Even though it is a short anime, it's a really good one. What got my attention is the sunflower scented warrior. They were in some if someone like that made me want to watch it

Back