Read or watch?

JennyorAlice

Do you prefer to watch anime/manga or read it? Why?

I always prefer reading first. Not that there aren't some good shows. I've just always been a big fan of reading ever since I first learned to read.

I nominate this thread to be moved to the Comparison board (When it exists)!

I guess it depends on the material. If Anime does a good adaption, watching it is fine.
I do like reading manga and in most cases there is a lot of details that they just can't put in the anime.
In many cases the anime starts before the manga concludes and tends to divert from the source.

For example, I enjoyed the Chrono Crusade Anime but I rather the manga heaps more because they take a more gray approach. You can sympathize with the villains.
Rosette is never "the one" she is just a courageous woman. There is an arch that is very touching that they just couldn't incorporate into the diverted story of the anime so they had to use a quicker setting. The battles not depicted in the manga are not as nicely choreographed either.
That said, the anime is not as terrible as many people puts it and I definitely get itch to watch some episodes from time to time, including the second diverging half of the episodes.

For me it really depends on how well one adaptation is over the other. When it comes to Pokemon, I personally like the manga better since it's more based around the video games than the anime is. Plus each series is based around a different character, whereas the main protagonist is Ash in the anime, which honestly it got stale since he basically does the same thing, just in a different region.

As Ravenisawesome has said, it really depends. Some are better in anime form, and others are better in manga form. Personally, utilizing the best of both worlds is the way to go. Do away with all the silly "elitists" that try to sway you on one side or another, and just go with the flow. I can understand preferring to experience Dragon Ball Z in its manga form, for the anime itself is quite filler-ridden and thus a painful thing to sit through per battle. Goku's battle with Frieza on Namek took a whole month to end. Ugh.

Now, how about some great anime? Like I said, manga usually sidestep the filler moments, because for the most part, anime tend to be produced under a set amount of time while the manga are still being published. That explains why Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, for example, was set to replace the original anime.

I prefer watching to anime rather than reading to annoying non-animated books called manga. For this reason, I didn't ever read any manga, or just 2 or 3 chapters from Naruto Shippuuden to verify a fact.

Do you prefer to read the manga or watch the anime? Why or why not?

I always prefer to read it before I watch it. Reading is usually better because there is some stuff that gets left out when you watch the show. I understand that they can't put everything into the show when they are adapting it from the reading material to the tv format, however, I think they leave out too much sometimes.

Maybe because there is not really a lot else to post in regards to manga and anime comparisons...

Elvis said:
Maybe because there is not really a lot else to post in regards to manga and anime comparisons...

Then he/she should either read manga to post something new or avoid this section. What else would come if he/she posts the same things?

I definitely prefer to watch it but then again I don't usually prefer reading over watching the show or movie :p

I pretty much still maintain my original opinion from the manga versus anime thread, however, given the new title I feel compelled to post again.

Supposing I have both types of material, I usually rather manga if I own a physical copy, as I can start reading and stop at any time. Digital reading is a bit more of a chore since I have a desktop and my mobile screen a tad small.

I do enjoy watching anime, I just like to make sure I won't be interrupted.

I think it would be cool to read it in Japanese.  If I was studying the language, then that would be a fun studying practice. OK, who has tried to read it in Japanese?  How did it go?

Back