Overlord Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Anime Review: Overlord

Number of episodes: 13

Plot:
Confronted with this abnormal situation, Momonga commands his loyal servants to help him investigate and take control of this new world, with the hopes of figuring out what has caused this development and if there may be others in the same predicament.

Review:
This is an anime I'm really conflicted on. I think it's good, there's no doubt about that, but how good, is something I don't know, and something I can't figure out. As far as the characters go, Momonga is awesome. He can be cruel, or kind, commanding or funny, and incredibly badass. His servants are funny too. Since all the NPC's start acting like real human beings, and the servants obsess with him, it gets sometime for Momonga to get used to it, and he's like a fish out of water. Now, the art is very good, something to be expected of Madhouse. Pretty and detailed, and gorgeous. However, the animation, or to be more specific, the 3-D animation, can range from average, to... not-so-good. The 2-D animation is competent. The best part of the anime is the writing. It's very funny. And the exposition is bearable too. The mechanics of the world are explained only when its required, and otherwise it focuses on the characters. Overall, to me, this is like a lesser version of Log Horizon, but it's still something I liked a lot. There's also two compilation movies, and some OVA's but I haven't watched any of them.
Score: 7.5/10
I'll probably bump up the score if I like the second season.

MAL info

PS

Liked the manga. Only got to the point where Shalltear was about to play some role. I feel the story was only doing setup till that point, but it was enjoyable non the less. And the comedy was fine too, like the fight against a gigantic hamster and other such =)

Also, as far as I can tell sooner or later the story is going to involve some other real human players. I wonder if any of them are going to be overpowered like Momonga is. Would be interesting to see how they handle that.

loved the anime, had great action and wonderful animation. Greatly looking forward to the next season which I hope to learn about a possible foe.

Demon_skeith said:
loved the anime, had great action and wonderful animation. Greatly looking forward to the next season which I hope to learn about a possible foe.

Yep. That's one major plotline that needs to be resolved in the next season. They can't do more build-ups. Not after this.

Star_Of_Hope said:
I am going to watch this anime soon.
I am watching ajin as of now

I heard that it has a lot of distracting CG, but for some reason I've been hesitant to watching it. Do you like it? What's the show about, and what's its tone?

MadaraUchiha said:
I heard that it has a lot of distracting CG, but for some reason I've been hesitant to watching it. Do you like it? What's the show about, and what's its tone?

Yes. It is distracting a bit but good. It's about humans that never die and the government that's using them in human experiments, to make weapons.
It's like dystopian setting.

MadaraUchiha said:
Yep. That's one major plotline that needs to be resolved in the next season. They can't do more build-ups. Not after this.

indeed, unlike Log Horizon I like to learn what is going on in this world.

i don't pick anime below the scoring of 8. shonen ai things are exceptions but other genres should have at least that score. when you said 7.5, do you think this anime doesn't deserve an 8?

yaoifangirl said:
i don't pick anime below the scoring of 8. shonen ai things are exceptions but other genres should have at least that score. when you said 7.5, do you think this anime doesn't deserve an 8?

yaoifangirl said:

If you don't mind talking you'll like this anime. And, the talking is not just narration or plot points, it's mostly quippy dialogues.

MadaraUchiha said:
You didn't like Log Horizon, or?

I... somewhat liked it. It just became too political/talking in the later season. Though I'm mostly complaining about the lack of reason for their issue in the series as to why they were trapped.

Demon_skeith said:
I... somewhat liked it. It just became too political/talking in the later season. Though I'm mostly complaining about the lack of reason for their issue in the series as to why they were trapped.

I didn't like season 2. At all. Season 1 in my opinion is genuinely great. Characters, dialogues, the world.

MadaraUchiha said:
I didn't like season 2. At all. Season 1 in my opinion is genuinely great. Characters, dialogues, the world.

like I said (and if I'm remembering right) season 2 was a lot of chatter and focus on the kids which isn't a bad thing but could have been condensed.

Demon_skeith said:
like I said (and if I'm remembering right) season 2 was a lot of chatter and focus on the kids which isn't a bad thing but could have been condensed.

I liked what they did, like what would happen if the mechanics of an MMORPG started to break down, but yeah, they should have condensed it.

Back