Novel to anime modifications

Claraviolet

Real hero hidden in the darkness
Staff member
Is there any anime that has been modified a little too much, when compared to it's source novel?

Nothing comes to my mind at the moment.

Akame ga Kill... The anime was released before the manga was finished so the second half of the anime is completely different

The first two seasons of A Certain Scientific Railgun.

Probably about 75% of season 1 was anime original, and the second arc of season 2. Some people complain because “they weren’t in the manga”, but they added closure to the characters introduced.

The first Full Mettle alchemist. The anime was released before the manga was done so midway through the story the anime goes in a different direction from the manga.

[quote="gemxtria" pid='263784' dateline='1631518319']
Akame ga Kill... The anime was released before the manga was finished so the second half of the anime is completely different
[/quote]
Hmm....that's news to me...

[quote="Grungie" pid='263809' dateline='1631534747']
The first two seasons of A Certain Scientific Railgun.

Probably about 75% of season 1 was anime original, and the second arc of season 2. Some people complain because “they weren’t in the manga”, but they added closure to the characters introduced.
[/quote]
Ah...haven't watched that one but new characters are kinda hard for.... fans to accept.
[quote="kadenmire" pid='263815' dateline='1631546541']
The first Full Mettle alchemist. The anime was released before the manga was done so midway through the story the anime goes in a different direction from the manga.
[/quote]

Yeah I have heard of it.
Guess that's why people prefer brotherhood a lot.

[quote="Claraviolet" pid='264012' dateline='1631964336']
Ah...haven't watched that one but new characters are kinda hard for.... fans to accept.
[/quote]

It was more of people wanting a 1 to 1 manga adaptation so anything added or missing was bad. I did enjoy some of the original episodes, because it expands on some of the side characters who just kind of… exist in the manga. So when they get a moment to shine in the first arc of season 3, you actually know who they are.

[quote="Grungie" pid='264015' dateline='1631971443']

It was more of people wanting a 1 to 1 manga adaptation so anything added or missing was bad. I did enjoy some of the original episodes, because it expands on some of the side characters who just kind of… exist in the manga. So when they get a moment to shine in the first arc of season 3, you actually know who they are.
[/quote]

That sounds kinda cool
Not may stories would actually elaborate the side character story... Well 12-13 episodes anime, anyway

[quote="Claraviolet" pid='264022' dateline='1631982943']

That sounds kinda cool
Not may stories would actually elaborate the side character story... Well 12-13 episodes anime, anyway
[/quote]

All 3 Railgun seasons are 25 episodes. Also they were trying to milk the popularity of A Certain Magical Index (Railgun’s a spinoff), so they didn’t have enough source material at the time, so they took a ton of creative liberties.

I think it worked fine for season 1 being mostly anime original, as the first arc the manga adapted wasn’t very long, and had a lot of wiggle room for extra additions.

Ironically despite it being a spinoff, Railgun seems a bit more popular than Index sometimes, and I think it’s because it’s easier to get into. Index’s first arc is kind of a pain, because the first arc is basically the exposition for the whole world, whereas Railgun can be explained in like 5 mins.

[quote="Grungie" pid='264026' dateline='1631991292']

All 3 Railgun seasons are 25 episodes. Also they were trying to milk the popularity of A Certain Magical Index (Railgun’s a spinoff), so they didn’t have enough source material at the time, so they took a ton of creative liberties.

I think it worked fine for season 1 being mostly anime original, as the first arc the manga adapted wasn’t very long, and had a lot of wiggle room for extra additions.

Ironically despite it being a spinoff, Railgun seems a bit more popular than Index sometimes, and I think it’s because it’s easier to get into. Index’s first arc is kind of a pain, because the first arc is basically the exposition for the whole world, whereas Railgun can be explained in like 5 mins.
[/quote]

Hmm...
I did watch the episodes of index and then I dropped it. I couldn't get into it.....Let me check out this Railgun.

Back