How do you determine whether an anime is Deep or Pretentious?

Claraviolet

Real hero hidden in the darkness
Staff member
To be honest,  I am not sure minnasan.
It's just a feeling I suppose. What about you guys? Do you have any set criteria for this?

I have a hard time trying to figure out what makes a show pretentious, since you can’t tell what the intentions of the creator are.

Usually it’s code word for something that’s weird and quirky and they didn’t like or get it.

[quote="Grungie" pid='238518' dateline='1611808677']
I have a hard time trying to figure out what makes a show pretentious, since you can’t tell what the intentions of the creator are.

Usually it’s code word for something that’s weird and quirky and they didn’t like or get it.
[/quote]

Hehe...exactly xD
I don't get how it could be done easily either and for One piece, it's supposed to be deep but I don't think of it that way.

[quote="Claraviolet" pid='238519' dateline='1611810111']

Hehe...exactly xD
I don't get how it could be done easily either and for One piece, it's supposed to be deep but I don't think of it that way.
[/quote]

I just tend to see it used by people who can’t come up with a real descriptor for something weird and/or different to what they’re used to.

I’m a music nerd and I hear that descriptor thrown around by people in regards to any artist or song that does anything “artsy” or isn’t making music that’s straightforward pop.

[quote="Grungie" pid='238527' dateline='1611816171']

I just tend to see it used by people who can’t come up with a real descriptor for something weird and/or different to what they’re used to.

I’m a music nerd and I hear that descriptor thrown around by people in regards to any artist or song that does anything “artsy” or isn’t making music that’s straightforward pop.
[/quote]

Yikes...I see,
That makes sense I suppose. I hear that all the time around me....guess I got too used to it.

not sure lol
may be based on the fact that people tend to make assumptions when it comes to anime with biased opinions.

I can't read the minds, and intentions of the creators of animes xD. They might have something running in their mind that led to creating such movie scene, what i can't decode is if they're being pretentious on a particular genre.

Back