Has the shock value of "My parents are dead!" in anime worn off for you?

Claraviolet

Real hero hidden in the darkness
Staff member
I believe that's the case for me.
Too many characters are left alone that way. What about you guys?

Demon_skeith said:
Never really much a big plot twist if you ask me.

That's true
Almost all the protagonists don't have parents these days. They really should work on the obvious :/

I don’t watch generic shonen battle anime, so I don’t see that plot line very often.

[quote="Grungie" pid='234386' dateline='1609566556']
I don’t watch generic shonen battle anime, so I don’t see that plot line very often.
[/quote]

Most of the time, you see it in the long running shonen anime.
Naruto and such. Even some slice of life anime, got the same plot

[quote="Claraviolet" pid='234389' dateline='1609567284']

Most of the time, you see it in the long running shonen anime.
Naruto and such. Even some slice of life anime, got the same plot
[/quote]

I watched a metric ton of slice of life shows, their parents are almost always alive. You’d have a significantly shorter list of ones where they’re dead than ones that are alive.

[quote="Grungie" pid='234398' dateline='1609568091']

I watched a metric ton of slice of life shows, their parents are almost always alive. You’d have a significantly shorter list of ones where they’re dead than ones that are alive.
[/quote]

Yikes....is that so?
I am not a fan of slice of life in general ....there are many students who don't have parents in Kyou kara ore wa(and it's supposed to be a comedy series), Komatta Tokinawa

[quote="Claraviolet" pid='234401' dateline='1609568233']

Yikes....is that so?
I am not a fan of slice of life in general ....there are many students who don't have parents in Kyou kara ore wa(and it's supposed to be a comedy series), Komatta Tokinawa
[/quote]

Most of the time there’s no debate that their parents exist, because they’re both shown, or the other most common one is that they’re just never shown, but the focus is on the kids, and their teacher(s) are the only adults they interact with. Like with K-on, the only prominent adult is Sawako.

Other times their mom is shown, but never their dad, so he’s probably just at work all the time, because Japanese salaryman stuff, and the mom’s probably a housewife. If they show the dad, but not the mom, she’s either probably dead, or they’re separated, but it’s rarely ever brought up. Like I don’t remember what’s up with Konata’s mom in Lucky Star, but her dad’s definitely there.

[quote="Grungie" pid='234402' dateline='1609569151']

Most of the time there’s no debate that their parents exist, because they’re both shown, or the other most common one is that they’re just never shown, but the focus is on the kids, and their teacher(s) are the only adults they interact with. Like with K-on, the only prominent adult is Sawako.

Other times their mom is shown, but never their dad, so he’s probably just at work all the time, because Japanese salaryman stuff, and the mom’s probably a housewife. If they show the dad, but not the mom, she’s either probably dead, or they’re separated, but it’s rarely ever brought up. Like I don’t remember what’s up with Konata’s mom in Lucky Star, but her dad’s definitely there.
[/quote]

I suppose so
There are a few instances when those kids live alone and their parents are in some other country

it's very normal now
i am sure people can never be able to think much of it, when something is used excessively and the same happened here as well

Back