Final Fantasy 7 remake

Burnsy

V.I.P. Member
I just went into this game blind, and not having played the OG game thinking I'd get a nice self contained story within the span of one game and that was sort of true till the ending 1/2 chapters when I understood literally nothing of what was happening on screen. And when I went to youtube to try to understand what it was about I had no idea what sort of can of worms I was going to open.

The FF7 remake is not a remake in the traditional sense, it's an alternate reality from the OG game but which is heavily influenced by the actions of the main game and there is no chance of understanding what you were seeing without outside help, which is one of the most unique ways of doing a remake which I have ever seen and they deserve a standing ovation for how well it turned out. And with the help of a few YouTube explanations it makes almost perfect sense which elevates my opinion of this game significantly.

On top of that the remake is only the first part of the OG game apparently and it goes on long enough to make 3 such games at least which I believe are being made right now. Well at least it's not as convoluted as Fate/ lore. @Grungie I'm wondering if you've played either the old or new FF7 and what you think of this remake.

USER=17126]@Grungie[/USER] I'm wondering if you've played either the old or new FF7 and what you think of this remake.
I’ve played both, and I enjoyed the remake. The remake was pretty confusing for fans of the original, because I thought some of the new characters were from the “expanded universe” of FF7, and that’s why I didn’t get it, but they were brand new characters along with new lore. So a lot of that stuff was just as new for me as it was for people who never played the original.

I did enjoy that they expanded on Aerith and the Avalanche members, as the death of all of those characters didn’t leave as much impact, especially with how little screen time Avalanche had in the original.

I’ve played both, and I enjoyed the remake. The remake was pretty confusing for fans of the original, because I thought some of the new characters were from the “expanded universe” of FF7, and that’s why I didn’t get it, but they were brand new characters along with new lore. So a lot of that stuff was just as new for me as it was for people who never played the original.

I did enjoy that they expanded on Aerith and the Avalanche members, as the death of all of those characters didn’t leave as much impact, especially with how little screen time Avalanche had in the original.

So do you think this game is better for diverging from the original story or would you and other fans have prefered a traditional remake? And who are the new characters?

So do you think this game is better for diverging from the original story or would you and other fans have prefered a traditional remake? And who are the new characters?
Honestly, a shorter list is who's original. Basically the original characters are Avalanche, the Turks, Don Corneo, and the head guys at Shinra. There are some minor ones like Marlene, but outside of that, they're mostly original.

The only reason why I have mixed feelings on them doing a reimagining vs a straight remake has more to do with the new lore being confusing for old fans. It's not like they expanded on pre-existing lore, they created new lore. So it was weird playing a remake and not knowing what was going on.

Though honestly, the fans who wanted a one to one remake would have been upset no matter what.

Back