Distrastrous Life of Saiki Kusuo Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Anime Review: The Disastrous Life of Saiki Kusuo(AKA Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan)

Genre: Shounen, Comedy, Supernatural

Number of Episodes:
Version 1: 120 episodes, each 5 minutes(short episode).
Version 2: 24 episodes, each 25 minutes and containing 5 shorts.

MAL Info:https://myanimelist.net/anime/33255/Saiki_Kusuo_no_Ψ-nan_TV

TL;DR This is a great anime, and each short is amazing, funny, witty, ad entertaining. Go watch it immediately.

Review:
The major strength of Saiku Kusuo is the dialogue. It's really fast-paced, and snappy, and is mostly about Saiki making observations about the absurdities of the humans surrounding him, interspersed with clever usage of his psychic powers. And, he is literally a God with a wide variety of powers, so, watching him use his powers is really entertaining. He's someone who doesn't want to stand out, and often, the anime tests him to his limits. It's also very meta, making observations on various genre tropes. Almost all the characters are quirky, and like-able. The animation and art are your standard stuff, and pleasing. The voice acting is very good too. Just a heads-up, sometimes it may be a bit too fast, so be prepared to keep up with the subs.

Score: I'd give it somewhere between 8.5/10 and 9/10

PS: Season 2 starts in January, and is gonna have 24 episodes, with the normal 25 minute run-time.
MAL Info for Season 2:https://myanimelist.net/anime/34612/Saiki_Kusuo_no_Ψ-nan_2

It's a good anime. I remember the cat episode and the way it places itself above humans. This is a really entertaining anime

Yeah, and I'm really surprised about how it's not as popular as other popular shounen anime. Everyone who's watched it liked it, it's an adapation of a shounen Jump manga, and it's genuinely good.

MadaraUchiha said:
Yeah, and I'm really surprised about how it's not as popular as other popular shounen anime. Everyone who's watched it liked it, it's an adapation of a shounen Jump manga, and it's genuinely good.

Well in our family me and Clara never liked it but shaurya love that anime. She can rewatch every episode any number of times. I have dropped it

Star_Of_Hope said:
Well in our family me and Clara never liked it but shaurya love that anime. She can rewatch every episode any number of times. I have dropped it

Oh, Clara said she liked Saiki Kusuo a lot. You didn't like it?

MadaraUchiha said:
Oh, Clara said she liked Saiki Kusuo a lot. You didn't like it?

I was talking about gintama. I should have mentioned that in my post. Seiki is a good and entertaining anime

Star_Of_Hope said:
I was talking about gintama. I should have mentioned that in my post. Seiki is a good and entertaining anime

Oh. I was talking about Saiki Kusuo there, and not Gintama. I know that you both don't like it.

Either you or Clara mentioned it, I think. I'm liking it so far, but it's nothing 'great', as fans seem to indicate. I am enjoying it, though.

MadaraUchiha said:
Either you or Clara mentioned it, I think. I'm liking it so far, but it's nothing 'great', as fans seem to indicate. I am enjoying it, though.

If it's comedy element then saiki kusuo executed it way better than gintama. Gintama is extreme in every sense

Star_Of_Hope said:
If it's comedy element then saiki kusuo executed it way better than gintama. Gintama is extreme in every sense

I certainly agree, but I guess that kind of appeals to me if taken in small doses. I only watch 1 or 2 episodes at a time.

MadaraUchiha said:
I certainly agree, but I guess that kind of appeals to me if taken in small doses. I only watch 1 or 2 episodes at a time.

if you watch one or two episodes, it would take you at least an year for you to cover all the episodes, movies and other specials.

MadaraUchiha said:

I will give that method a try sometime, but I highly doubt I would enjoy watching gintama. I don't get the charm of that anime.

Star_Of_Hope said:
I will give that method a try sometime, but I highly doubt I would enjoy watching gintama. I don't get the charm of that anime.

Well, try 58-61, it's the first serious arc in the anime, and only has little doses of the extreme nature you are talking about.
But, I'm not going to fault people for not liking it, I get their point.

KuranKaname said:
if you watch one or two episodes, it would take you at least an year for you to cover all the episodes, movies and other specials.

And, I plan to do the same. I've to watch other anime too, and I need to watch other anime. I kinda get tired if I keep watching the same, and that would be a bummer, especially if I like it a lot.

is it that good of anime? i read the review, the kid's got powers and do anything. how could that be entertaining without any opponents of equal power? i will pass this anime

yaoifangirl said:
is it that good of anime? i read the review, the kid's got powers and do anything. how could that be entertaining without any opponents of equal power? i will pass this anime

Each episode is 5 minutes so you can try, maybe?

MadaraUchiha said:
Well, try 58-61, it's the first serious arc in the anime, and only has little doses of the extreme nature you are talking about.
But, I'm not going to fault people for not liking it, I get their point.

And, I plan to do the same. I've to watch other anime too, and I need to watch other anime. I kinda get tired if I keep watching the same, and that would be a bummer, especially if I like it a lot.

I never intended to.
Anyway, I need to know how many episodes you've seen to know that. You know about the three main characters Gintoki, Kagura and Shinpachi right?
And do you know about Katsura(running gag: I'm not Zura! The name's Katsura).
And the shinsengumi police force?
These are the main characters in the entire series.
Even if you don't know their names, just look for their images. I'm sure you will recognize them.
There's only two characters you need to know about if you've watched 10 episodes at least.

Back