Blade Runner 2049 Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Blade Runner 2049 Movie Review(2017)

Genre: Sci-Fi, Noir

This, along with Dunkirk and Wonder Woman, was my most anticipated movie of the year. I really like the director of the movie and his previous works(Arrival, Prisoners), and I liked the first Blade Runner, which was a visually stunning movie, and I liked it even more when I watched it again yesterday in preparation for this movie. My stupid city delayed the release of this movie by 3 weeks due to issues with ticket prices in cinema screens. I watched this movie on 29/10/2017.

Plot:

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

Review:

This, along with Dunkirk and War for the Planet of the Apes, is easily my favourite movie of the year. It's a visually stunning, breath-taking movie. Just like the first movie, this film in is an investigative movie, and constantly asks questions about, humanity and feelings. It uses the principle 'show don't tell' very well. Easy answers aren't given. But that was a negative for me. I don't mind films with open-endings, but there were too many questions left unanswered, and too many plot-lines left in the open. The other complaint I have is that the music was mostly loud noises, unlike the first Blade Runner, which had an incredible soundtrack. But, this is one of the best-looking movies of the year. The actors, particularly Ryan Gosling as K, are phenomenal. The movie also vastly expands on the world and questions raised by the original in an immaculate way. Some may find the pacing to be a bit slow and the film to be a bit long(it's 2 hours and 45 minutes), but the movie really gripped and engaged me so that wasn't a problem for me. Overall, this film was an amazing experience that should be watched in theaters. 
Score: 8.5/10.

Trailer:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4[/video]

NOTE: Three shorts were released before the movie was released, and it's advisable that you watch them, especially the short 'Black Out 2022', and incidentally, it happens to be an anime.

Short 1: '2036: Nexus Dawn'

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ[/video]

Short 2: '2048: Nowhere to Run'

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg[/video]

Short 3: 'Black Out 22', directed by Shinichiro Watanabe(Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Zankyou no Terror)

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ[/video]

Oh  man... You are a movie addict ya Know.
Well as long as you enjoy nothing else matters I guess

MadaraUchiha said:
The last movie I watched was in the first week of September. It's been almost two months, you know.
It's been two years or so for me. So compared to my schedule, you do watch movies frequently.

Claraviolet said:
It's been two years or so for me. So compared to my schedule, you do watch movies frequently.

Well you always mention that you prefer anime over live-action so there's that.

MadaraUchiha said:
Well you always mention that you prefer anime over live-action so there's that.

Well yeah. Even so, the don't know what's so good about a movie that has just 2 hour or so for run time an be that's barely enough for a plot. So there is no charger development whatsoever

Claraviolet said:
Well yeah. Even so, the don't know what's so good about a movie that has just 2 hour or so for run time an be that's barely enough for a plot. So there is no charger development whatsoever

Those are pre-conceived notions. I can list many anime with 12 episodes that have failed miserably to develop character.

MadaraUchiha said:
Those are pre-conceived notions. I can list many anime with 12 episodes that have failed miserably to develop character.

I am not a fan of 12 episode anime. I prefer 25 episodes for an anime.

Back