Avengers: Infinity War Review

MadaraUchiha

Akatsuki
Staff member
Movie Review: Avengers: Infinity War(2018)

Plot
:
As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment - the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain. 

This was easily my most anticipated movie of the year. It's 10 years of build-up, from 2008. I've been following the MCU for at least 6 years, and I can't believe that this is their 19th movie, and this is everything they've been working towards. I saw this movie on 27/4/2018.

Pro's:
First, you need to understand that this movie is all about payoff. Just like Deathly Hallows Part 2. There's no setup, or build-up. We've had 18 movies and 10 years for that. From the first scene, it's on. There's no moment to rest for the audience, and the movie goes at a break-neck speed.
Second, Thanos. Boy, he's amazing. Marvel have finally cracked the code on having a good villain. He's charismatic, nuanced, sympathetic, clear about his goals. More importantly he's pretty scary. There's actual stakes involved. People die. Whenever he's on screen, the movie makes a point to make you feel that nobody is safe. He's easily my favourite part of the movie.
The movie always takes apart your expectations. It's never predictable. Never. It's always moving at a very fast speed, and you are literally at the movie's mercy.
And, of course, Marvel has always been the best at this, but the heroes shine in this movie, as they always have. There's about 30 characters, and they do a pretty good job of balancing the important ones, and even the secondary heroes get enough time to showcase their abilities. But, I do think that one particular very important hero didn't get enough screen-time.
The action sequences are great, and exciting, and is on another level compared to any MCU movie that came before.
The movie is huge in terms of scale. Like, perhaps on the level of Mass Effect 3. From scene one, Thanos sends armies to destroy everything to get his infinity stones. And, everything's shot in a very wide way, and there's always a lot of things happening on-screen, but it's never a mess. Every scene feels huge.
The heroes are also always never on the upper-hand. They are desperate, and they are doing whatever they can to stop him. Thanos does real damage, and the heroes are scraping to do whatever they can. They don't have time to rest, and every moment they are in danger.
And, as always, the movie is pretty funny, when it demands it. They did a good job in making sure that they play each other off. 
The movie also gets dark. Like really dark. It's not your usual Marvel movie, especially in the last act.
The music, editing, and CGi is pretty good.
This is something personal, but the theatre I went to had an amazing environment. We were shouting, whistling, and cheering every single minute, and for every single character appearance, and for every single action scene. The theatre was very very loud and electric, and it made me enjoy the movie even more.

Con's:
They tried this father daughter relationship between Thanos and Gamorra and it didn't work as well as I hoped.
Sometimes characters do things that seem out-of-character.

Overall, this movie is well-worth the 10 years of build-up, with an amazing villain, a huge swathe of heroes, moving at a break-neck speed, with really good humour, with actual stakes at hand, and is really, really huge in scale.
Score: 8.5/10

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwievZ1Tx-8

Note
It's better to watch all 18 movies before you watch it to get all the Easter eggs, and to know about the recurring characters. And, make sure you don't get spoiled. There's a boat-load of spoilers, and you are only a Google search away from getting spoiled.

Star_Of_Hope said:
I don't think I know about this movie. I have heard of it before but I never really gave it a try

you're going to have to watch a whole lot of movies to fully enjoy this movie.

Star_Of_Hope said:
I don't think I know about this movie. I have heard of it before but I never really gave it a try

You couldn't have given it a try because it was released on 27th of April. And, you have to have seen 18 movies to watch it.

I see.
I never expected such a long movie series. I won't be watching it anytime soon then.
Now, I don't feel like giving it a try :D

It's alright. Millions of people have been following and enjoying it. I went with 10 of my friends who were big fans of it and I know at least 30 other people who are.

SecretWish said:
many people are talking about it all around the globe. it will be a hit regardless of the story

The story is pretty good and it's turning out to be even bigger than Star Wars The Force Awakens.

MadaraUchiha said:
The story is pretty good and it's turning out to be even bigger than Star Wars The Force Awakens.

I didn't know that star wars is that popular and I believe it's a long time ago.
I really should seriously think about giving this series a try

Star_Of_Hope said:
I didn't know that star wars is that popular and I believe it's a long time ago.
I really should seriously think about giving this series a try

Force Awakens came out in 2015, and is the third biggest movie of all time(behind Avatar and Titanic).

MadaraUchiha said:
Force Awakens came out in 2015, and is the third biggest movie of all time(behind Avatar and Titanic).

I am not aware of that at all. It's not surprising that I don't follow movies news.
Thank you for the information Madara

MadaraUchiha said:

i will watch it in next weekend. i for some time to kill and i wanted to take a break

SecretWish said:
i will watch it in next weekend. i for some time to kill and i wanted to take a break

Just know that sometimes you may not be able to follow some things because this is the 19th movie in a franchise. It's only minor Easter eggs and call-backs, so you'll probably thoroughly enjoy it since it's a non-stop roller coaster ride from start to finish.

MadaraUchiha said:
Just know that sometimes you may not be able to follow some things because this is the 19th movie in a franchise. It's only minor Easter eggs and call-backs, so you'll probably thoroughly enjoy it since it's a non-stop roller coaster ride from start to finish.

i didn't watch the entire series but i recognize the names of some movies names on it. i don't think i would get the entire story but i Google the parts i don't get

SecretWish said:
i didn't watch the entire series but i recognize the names of some movies names on it. i don't think i would get the entire story but i Google the parts i don't get

That's more than enough.

Back