Anime Review - Tower of God

HannahCN

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNyClma6awo[/video][/align]
So... let's talk about Tower of God. For those who don't know, Tower of God - released earlier this year - was the first anime ever to be based on an original series from internationally famous manwha site Webtoons. Because of that, I feel it deserves to be judged on its merits purely as an anime separate from those as an adaptation. Let's go.[/align]
Just in case you didn't watch the trailer above, Tower of God is a series about, appropriately enough, the Tower of God. The Tower is an enormous structure full of an energy called Shinsu, and occasionally people are selected and given the opportunity to climb it. After overcoming the tests necessary to do so, it is said, those who reach the top can use the Shinsu to obtain anything they desire. [/align]
Outside of the Tower, a girl named Rachel lives together with a boy named Bam. For Bam, Rachel is his entire world, and so when Rachel is called to the Tower and given the opportunity to fulfill her wish of seeing the stars, Bam has no choice but to follow her. [/align]
The anime is *incredible*. It's got a wonderful story with deep characters who all have their own reasons for being in the Tower, and who will all use their own methods to get to the top, whether they be foul or fair. We all know Bam and Rachel's reasons for being there, but suffice to say you'll develop a sustained interest in most of the other characters as well. [/align]
Next, animation. To be honest, I'm not someone who usually pays animation quality that much interest, but Tower of God was *clean*. Amazing fight scenes, and the characters all looked like they jumped straight of the manwha pages to me, which was what I liked best about it. It's got its own unique feel to it, that I am finding very hard to compare with anything else. [/align]

Music. I suspected this the entire series, and when I finally looked it up afterward, I was delighted to see I was right: Tower of God's music was done by Kevin Penkin, who did the music for Rising of the Shield Hero, but above even that, for Made in Abyss. I don't know how well whoever is reading this will be familiar with specifically the music of specifically made in Abyss, but there is no higher praise than saying 'this is like the music of Made in Abyss' that I can give a series music-wise. It's *incredible* (even if the music is often more subdued that Made in Abyss) and if you pay attention to it, you'll want to hear it forever. <3

Honestly, on its own merits as an anime, there isn't really anything I can say to fault it. Its got a story that will draw you in that you will blow through (unfortunately) in 2 or 3 days, amazing music and animation, and it'll leave you hankering for more. And there will be more - the source material is available, and it was hugely popular. The author has been on hiatus for several months now due to health reasons, and that's a thing, but there will be more of this, and I wouldn't even be surprised if it was sometime in 2021 already.

So, that was its merits as an anime. Now, how does it score as an adaptation?

Well... it changes some stuff. But to be fair, what adaptation these days doesn't? It's mostly stuff that would take too long to explain in a 13-episode anime, and it doesn't lessen the enjoyment. Still it *does* change stuff. What's even more annoying is that it sometimes still refers to the stuff it changed in its original context. A small example (this isn't a spoiler, really): In the Tower, swords aren't used. The weapons of choice are 'needles', which are more or less exactly what they sound like: long sharp stabby things, big enough to actually be used as weapons. Why? Well, that's actually got a very good reason... however, if you want to know, I'll just tell you to read the original series, all the more because Tower of God has even got a physical manwha already, so I wouldn't be surprised if it either became paid content on Webtoons or was removed from the site as free content altogether. Anyway, in the series, they mostly changed the weapons to be more sword-like. Despite that though, 'needles' will still be referred to at times in the series, and you'll have no idea what they're talking about if you didn't read the original series first.

So anyway, rating time:

As an anime and nothing more, I'm rating it a 9, which is basically 'even if you don't really like the genre, watch this, you'll love the shit out of it'
As an adaptation, for minor annoyances from someone who read the original material, I'm docking it a point. That being said, an 8 is still no slouch.

And yes, like I mentioned earlier, you might want to start reading the original material asap. I linked it at the beginning of this post, so nobody has got any excuse not to go and read it. ;P​

I personally wasn't a fan. Too much setup and exposition and not enough stuff actually happening. It felt like a diluted, plot heavy tournament anime arc but not as good as any of the classics, like Naruto, HxH or YYH and I personally thought the characters weren't all that interesting either because they didn't have anything to them, apart from a few. Not to mention the dull main character.

MadaraUchiha said:
I personally wasn't a fan. Too much setup and exposition and not enough stuff actually happening. It felt like a diluted, plit heavy shounen anime arc but not as good as any of the classics, like Naruto, HxH or YYH and I personally thought the characters weren't all that interesting either because they didn't have anything to them, apart from a few. Not to mention the dull main character.

I'll agree that ToG is not as action-packed as some 'classics' like Dragonball or Naruto. Tbf, though, I don't really consider it a shonen either. A shonen relies heavily on its battles and action scenes, whereas an adventure anime, which is what I consider ToG to be (as well as others like Made in Abyss, for example), rely more heavily on its narrative. This doesn't mean it can't have battles as well, but imo it does mean it doesn't have to answer to some criteria that a shonen might have to. So yeah, the main character can be less action-inclined, and be more the reason things are happening, rather than the one setting things into motion. There weren't really any characters I disliked except from a few minor side characters, but I guess something like that is subjective.

HannahCN said:
I'll agree that ToG is not as action-packed as some 'classics' like Dragonball or Naruto. Tbf, though, I don't really consider it a shonen either. A shonen relies heavily on its battles and action scenes, whereas an adventure anime, which is what I consider ToG to be (as well as others like Made in Abyss, for example), rely more heavily on its narrative. This doesn't mean it can't have battles as well, but imo it does mean it doesn't have to answer to some criteria that a shonen might have to. So yeah, the main character can be less action-inclined, and be more the reason things are happening, rather than the one setting things into motion. There weren't really any characters I disliked except from a few minor side characters, but I guess something like that is subjective.

I actually wasn't talking about the action and I have a few corrections to make. I meant a "tournament arc", not a shounen arc when I mentioned Naruto, HxH, etc.

My problem isn't that it's narrative heavy or that it didn't have enough action, a lot of anime I like are slice of life stuff. It's that most of the anime is just characters sitting around and literally narrating or giving exposition to some plot point and I find that to be lazy and boring. I don't mind "lore" and "world building" but I'd rather "show don't tell" i.e. visual story telling but most anime don't do that.

MadaraUchiha said:
I actually wasn't talking about the action and I have a few corrections to make. I meant a "tournament arc", not a shounen arc when I mentioned Naruto, HxH, etc.

My problem isn't that it's narrative heavy or that it didn't have enough action, a lot of anime I like are slice of life stuff. It's that most of the anime is just characters sitting around and literally narrating or giving exposition to some plot point and I find that to be lazy and boring. I don't mind "lore" and "world building" but I'd rather "show don't tell" i.e. visual story telling but most anime don't do that.

To a certain degree, I can objectively agree with you. I mean, personally it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the show, but yes, in general show don't tell is a better principle. That being said, even the source material sometimes dropped info bombs in this manner. It must have been a difficult path to tread for whoever made the adaptation.

HannahCN said:
To a certain degree, I can objectively agree with you. I mean, personally it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the show, but yes, in general show don't tell is a better principle. That being said, even the source material sometimes dropped info bombs in this manner. It must have been a difficult path to tread for whoever made the adaptation.

I realise I come across as critical and I need to back pedal a bit. I sort of enjoyed parts of the anime yes, and I found the setting to be quite intriguing and I did like some of the characters. It was an enjoyable time, just not as good as it could have been.

MadaraUchiha said:
I realise I come across as critical and I need to back pedal a bit. I sort of enjoyed parts of the anime yes, and I found the setting to be quite intriguing and I did like some of the characters. It was an enjoyable time, just not as good as it could have been.

Nah - as long as criticism is delivered not just bashing things, which you didn't, there's nothing wrong with it. *Be* critical! Nothing wrong with it!

HannahCN said:
I highly recommend you do!

thank you and i will check it out soon
not have much else to pick anyway and i have been looking for good anime and movie recommendations

Blackangel said:
thank you and i will check it out soon
not have much else to pick anyway and i have been looking for good anime and movie recommendations

I'm just going to watch some of the shows I haven't finished yet that will have sequels this season / year. Starting Promised Neverland later today.

HannahCN said:
I'm just going to watch some of the shows I haven't finished yet that will have sequels this season / year. Starting Promised Neverland later today.

that's a really good one.
and i am sure you will feel the hype even now. and i really need to watch the latest seasons of my hero academia

Blackangel said:
that's a really good one.
and i am sure you will feel the hype even now. and i really need to watch the latest seasons of my hero academia

Ended up not starting Promised Neverland quite yet because people were busy around me, and that's not really conducive to a good atmosphere for watching horror in, so started Skull Face Bookseller Honda-San instead. It's fun. ^^

Tower of God seems to go beyond genre and is a general good anime, but I heard/read a lot of reviews how it has a bad ending, is it true?

Back