2 type of player

MoonlightShadow

V.I.P. Member
There's 2 types of problematic player in sports genre. One is player who lack skills and abilities, two is player with abundant talents but lack self confidence

I found out that the later is the most annoying. I recently reread Giant Killing, one of important character in the series this Tsubaki and this guy is this type of player. Okay.. this bring back my memories of how annoying this Tsubaki, he's keeps dragging down his own team because of his lack of self confidence, and what worst? This thing never ends, 170+ chapters and Tsubaki still struggle with this bullshit. And no, this is different from Ikari Shinji, this Tsubaki is annoying beyond believe

I hate this kind of character, the mangaka should write more logical story, if he didn't have what it takes to become pro player then just retire and go to college

Hahah, I feel those tropes are also outside the genre.

At least the guy with no skills is easier to get invested because is a more straight journey. You know what the character wants you want to see how they get there. it is a lot more relatable than a character that is where many would like but can't appreciate it and easily can come across as ingrate with the opportunities they get (and probably we won't in our lifetime) and rub the wrong way, hahah.

If the story can't explain where is it coming from or adequately show how the events around the characters affect them in a logical matter it becomes very tiring, repetitive, predictable and boring having a character that has all the talent but zero confidence. Arcs feel very samey because it is the same obstacle and it feels like what they overcomes amounts to nothing for their personal growth.

On the other hand, I've seen people being tired of a flawed character that makes sense with the environment and experiences where the author can be making a good job portraying the character but it will still frustrate the heck out of most people. Someone that grew in atypical conditions can really have such a damaged self-image that won't see themselves anywhere close to what is clear for others and can take some time to build that confidence and self-reliance but the show needs to make that pace believable and making sense with what is going on and upping the stakes ina way that feels like a natural progression rather than just breaking character.

Something that annoys me is finding a character regressing to that zero-confidence spot because the plot requires it. Like less just invalidate everything the character went through and all the lessons they learned up until now because of an occurrence that is so small in the scope of everything else that had been going on. That right there has made me throw books away from my lap. It's like I am being teased and robbed of the pay-off.

Hahah, I feel those tropes are also outside the genre.

At least the guy with no skills is easier to get invested because is a more straight journey. You know what the character wants you want to see how they get there. it is a lot more relatable than a character that is where many would like but can't appreciate it and easily can come across as ingrate with the opportunities they get (and probably we won't in our lifetime) and rub the wrong way, hahah.

If the story can't explain where is it coming from or adequately show how the events around the characters affect them in a logical matter it becomes very tiring, repetitive, predictable and boring having a character that has all the talent but zero confidence. Arcs feel very samey because it is the same obstacle and it feels like what they overcomes amounts to nothing for their personal growth.

On the other hand, I've seen people being tired of a flawed character that makes sense with the environment and experiences where the author can be making a good job portraying the character but it will still frustrate the heck out of most people. Someone that grew in atypical conditions can really have such a damaged self-image that won't see themselves anywhere close to what is clear for others and can take some time to build that confidence and self-reliance but the show needs to make that pace believable and making sense with what is going on and upping the stakes ina way that feels like a natural progression rather than just breaking character.

Something that annoys me is finding a character regressing to that zero-confidence spot because the plot requires it. Like less just invalidate everything the character went through and all the lessons they learned up until now because of an occurrence that is so small in the scope of everything else that had been going on. That right there has made me throw books away from my lap. It's like I am being teased and robbed of the pay-off.
Yup, you pointed that right, unskilled character is more relatable and acceptable because the development will be all about learning and hard working toward their goal, they are easier to get our sympathy

By the way.. your 'character regression' reminds about Goku in Dragon Ball Super lol

Back